BlackMagic
    Neophyte
    Neophyte

Number of posts : 20
    Humor : You better hope I have a sense of it
    Registration date : 2008-09-30

Wicca/Wicce/Witchcraft/Wisecraft

Post by BlackMagic on Tue 30 Sep 2008, 9:18 am

If anyone has any questions in regard to said religions in the subject line, (all are considered Pagan) feel free to ask me. Although I no longer practice, I did practice Wicca for over 15 years and can help those interested in it. It's important to note that Witchcraft, even though some feel it is interchangable with Wicca, it really isn't. Two totally different religions, but the popular view today is that they're one and the same. In fact, Witchcraft really isn't a religion per se, but some will argue to the death that it is.
    Demonda
    God
    God

Number of posts : 151
    Humor : There is no greater evil lest that which we do to ourselves.
    Registration date : 2008-07-20

Re: Wicca/Wicce/Witchcraft/Wisecraft

Post by Demonda on Tue 30 Sep 2008, 6:31 pm

Can you explain more about the differences please?

BlackMagic
    Neophyte
    Neophyte

Number of posts : 20
    Humor : You better hope I have a sense of it
    Registration date : 2008-09-30

Post by BlackMagic on Tue 30 Sep 2008, 8:04 pm

Demonda wrote:Can you explain more about the differences please?

Where Witchcraft is concerned, I will post a link to wikipedia. I'm being lazy...sorry. However, to make a long story, short... basically Witchcraft can be interpreted in many ways by many cultures. Those who practice Witchcraft, depending on the culture, can be, and often is identifed as shaman, wizard, medicine man (akin to shaman), healer, nurse, etc. All have been identified as "Witches" at some point of another and many have been or are "accused" of Witchcraft.

In some cultures, "Witches" are revered, but in most, as we well know, they are shunned. The "Witch burnings" in Europe and the hanging of "Witches" in Salem, Mass are proof of that. Hundreds of years have passed, yet the acceptance of "alternative" religions is not well tolerated. Click the link for more in depth info.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchcraft

As for Wicca, it is a religion that was introduced to the states by practioner Gerald Gardner. I will also provide this link to his website. http://www.geraldgardner.com/

As I mentioned starting this thread, many who practice Wicca call themselves Witches, and for the most part, that's acceptable among Wiccans and Witches alike. However, there are the choice few (usually Witches) who are offended by the who association. Even many Satanists call themselves Witches. However, a Christian calling a Satanist a Witch is more common than the practioner him/herself would be in doing so.

The reason many Wiccans call themselves Witches is because the "magic(k)" they practice, as well as the rites/Sabbats/Lesser Sabbats, are often identical in the dogmatic sense. For instance the "tools" that are used on their alters (pentacle, athame, chalice, sword, candles, and so on) as well as the wearing of colored, hooded cloaks (or practicing nude aka, "skyclad") to coincide with the seasons (and the celebration of said seasons, i.e. autumnal/spring equinox, winter/summer solstice) are the same. Regardless of the obvious similarities, they truly are not the same.

I will gladly go more in depth at another time. I'm really tired right now so that's all you get for today. I love you

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 24 Sep 2018, 7:02 am